Thursday, August 30, 2012

Oatmeal Cream Pies

I have been so into reading the Pioneer Woman's blog lately that I have wanted to bake nearly every recipe she has! I sat on the couch the other day and watched every episode of her new show on comcast demand and was sad when I finished the last one! I only hope to be like her one day! I dream of living on a bunch of land one day with my pretend cowboy (Justin)! :P

All dreaming aside, I brought these oatmeal cream pies to realittyyy babyyy!  Credit is given to Ree Drummond for this recipe on her cooking blog!

Oatmeal Cream Pies
  1. 2 C brown sugar
  2. 1/2 C butter, softened
  3. 1/4 C shortening
  4. 2 whole eggs 
  5. 1/2 tsp salt
  6. 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  7. 1 tsp baking powder
  8. 3 tbsp boiling water
  9. 1 tsp baking soda
  10. 2 1/2 C flour
  11. 2 C quick oats
Put the first 4 ingredients in a bowl and mix together. After these ingredients are mixed, put ingredients numbers 5, 6, and 7 in the same bowl and mix that together. In a small bowl put the baking soda and boiling water together and mix until baking soda is pretty dissolved then add that to the other ingredients and mix well.  Lastly add the flour and oats and mix up well.
(these are simple, unprofessional instructions... don't hate please)

the oatmeal cookie dough.. when I finally realized I needed to take a picture of this it was almost gone!
Bake these on 350 degrees for about 10 mins. Don't bake too long because you want them chewy and good! At least I do!

Freshly baked oatmeal cookiessss!!!
Because I like everything to look nice and I have a slight case of OCD, I used a shaker cup to cut my cookies all the same size! How red-neck, huh?! I couldn't find any cookie cutters. I think they may all be in my hope chest at Justin's grandma's! I don't want to use a lot of my things and mess them up just yet. Those are special to save for when I have my own home one day! Don't cha think?
My version of a cookie cutter! :P
if you pick the cup up and it sticks in there, that means success. You could always stick the cup to your eye and pretend you have a cookie eye. I mean... I would do it.
Lastly, once you get all of your cookies cut (if you choose to do that part), then you but a small scoop of marshmallow cream in the center and mash two cookies together! You could always make your own cream, but I took the shortcut! It might be more tasty if you make homemade cream to put in the middle. Marshmallow cream has a strong marshmallow flavor to me and is not really whats in the inside of little debbie oatmeal cream pies I don't think!
then you stack them on a plate to see how many high you can stack them before they fall over and take them to the living room with an extra large glass of milk and go to town!!!
YUMMMM! These are best eaten the night you make them just like every other homemade cookie, but are still tasty days after.

My cookie dough was much more runny than hers and the cookies spread and flattened on the parchment paper I baked them on. I don't know the reason behind this. If you can make these without the cookie dough being so runny and small fluffy cookies, please share the information! Now get in the kitchen, people!

xoxo,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment