Sunday, September 25, 2011

Kosher Dill Pickling!

     I have been trying to get around to making pickles for days now! I have had some over-sized cucumbers that probably wouldn't taste well eaten raw, so I decided to make them into pickles. I didn't want to throw them away! Today I finally had the opportunity to make some dill pickles! I love dill pickles!
    As much as I would love to completely home-make these pickles, someone created a quick mix and I love that thought! I'm sure home-made dill pickles would take a lot longer!
Hooray for this!
    It will tell you on the back of the bag how to make! So easy! You can even just buy this at your regular grocery store or even wal-mart. I think it's like $3.54 or something. Not the cheapest for a mix, but it saves time for sure!

    You can either slice your cucumbers long ways or slice them into little rounds. Or even if you have baby cucumbers, you can make baby pickles! How cute! Most people have a slicer to make these with, but my old fashioned slicer does not switch the thickness on it and it's far too thin for pickles, so I had to slice with knife.
My slicing job.. worked good enough for me!


Kosher Dill Pickles
7 1/3 Cup water
3 1/3 Cup White distilled vinegar
packet mix

Bring to rolling boil and boil until completely disolved
There were these little seed looking things in there. Not sure if they were supposed to go away or not, but I had boiled for at least 15 mins.

Simply pour in jars that are filled with sliced, or speared cucumbers!
My little 99 cent canning funnel!
    After you pour your liquid over the cucumbers in the jars, be sure to boil your lids for five minutes. Wipe the tops of the rims of your jars and make sure they are clean and then put the lids on! Turn them upside down for five minutes and then turn them back right side up; you should hear some popping going on! That means they're sealed!
Finished product!

    The liquid to pour over the cucumbers was a little more yellow than I expected, but I've already tasted some and they're ggooooddd!

    If you have lots of cucumbers and don't know what to do with them, try this! It's fast, easy, and delicious! (if you're a pickle lover like me!)

    I have wild pears next that I plan on canning. They'll have to be coated in sugar because they are extremely bitter, but they will be good hopefully! I may try and make some pear sauce, or pear preserves, or pear pie filling.. Who knows! Never canned fruit before so it's something new that I will be testing out! Wish me luck! I will have to save that job for another day!


XOXOXO
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment